Monday, October 5, 2015

Heroes

I do not know how to write about this.  Maybe if I start, it will take me somewhere.
Heroes.  Who are they there for?  They are serving people in need.  The service is needed.  The heroes get a measure of glory.  The glory feels good.  Isn't is good to feel needed?  
There have been times, seasons when I have known I would be a hero.  Work to do for a season, as a protector, defender, expert, SME, go-to-guy.  
I think we have been stealing the glory.  No wonder it feels good.  All of the glory belongs to The Lord Jesus Christ.  But it is such a small thing.  We become stewards of a thing.  We are the masters of it, and the doorways of access to it.
But we are not the masters of it.  We are the stewards of it.  He alone is the Master of it, of All.
What would it look like if I worked my job as a steward rather than a master.  I am trusted with a part of something bigger than I can ever be or be master of.  It is one or five or ten talents, entrusted to me for a season.  It is not mine, but the Master's.  He is returning to claim what is His.  He is interested in how I will invest, and what return I will get and give...but mostly He is returning for what is His.  I am just the steward of it.
He has placed this part of His estate in this time and place for the benefit of those it serves, not for me or my glory.  This asset is glorious from the start, and I can add nothing to it.  It needs my stewardship to be of the best advantage possible to those who it serves.  That is why he placed a steward.  He placed me as that steward because he sees that I may be able to provide it without touching the glory.  
When I play hero with my authority, my commission, I steal from my Master.  It is always enough, more than enough to be given a stewardship.  But I have touched the glory, and want more.  And no wonder.  It is divine.  Not made for me.
If touching the divine made us explode at that moment, everyone would know not to touch the divine, not to touch the glory.  Stealing glory does not kill us right a way.  In fact, it makes us feel like gods.
Enough analysis for now.  In the Name of Jesus, I pray Father that you would forgive my theft of the glory of Christ.  I renounce my old habits of heroics, my hunger to be a hero, and a god.  Teach me how to bring the glory and honor home to The Lord Jesus Christ by proper stewardship.  Help me, first, to be grateful for the opportunity to serve the Kingdom of God as a steward of some small portion.  Help me then to love the beneficiaries of the estate, to provide the benefits of the estate to them because you love them.  Help me to find your love for them and our  love for you, together, as we dwell in your possession.  Help us to be found faithful with that which you have given us.  And with our lamps full of oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment