Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Weather and Trust

There is nothing more circumstantial than the weather. and nothing more ephemeral.

I grew up with the phrase admonishing that if you did not like the Illinois weather, all you had to do was wait an hour.  But then there would be those summer days when no matter how long you waited, it never cooled off.

Weather changes when you do not want it to, and will not change when you do desire a change most fervently.

Maybe weather is one of the things about this life that encouraged us to seek the reliable and unshifting, to long for a sure foundation.

I am in a situation where the situational weather, the storms and trials of this life,  blow strong or simmer hot or chill long and hard.  Mild weather is only a predictor that somewhere, a storm is brewing. 

Sometimes I get caught in the storm and consumed by it.  I forget about a sure foundation and despair of survival.  Or at least I get distracted enough by the raging that I think I have lost my way home.

But then I see may way clear.  So many times, like the last time a few days ago, the clear way is not a path forward at all, but the realization that the storm is raging around me, not on me.  The realization that I am standing on my Father's porch.  I feel the wind, hear the clashing, and get the mist of it on my face.  But I am on my Father's porch.

I trust where I am, I just sometimes forget where I am.

Then I look and see that there is still room on the porch for more of my Father's children.

No comments:

Post a Comment